Saturday, July 14, 2007

a cut-back long run

Just to catch up since I haven't posted in a few days, on Thursday I went to the gym for a cross-training workout. I didn't do any cardio other than 5 minutes of walking to warm up. I focused on abs, back, and hips. I think the ab and hip work is paying off some, even though I haven't done much of it yet. I think I am getting stronger.

Friday I did the normally scheduled run--30 minutes. The weather was perfect. I loosened up after a mile or two and really got into it. I ran around my subdivision some, but spent most of my time running around Sawgrass. I so enjoy running with my mp3 player. I'm just out there with this gorgeous, enormous Midwestern sky, a nice breeze, and some music that I love. It's a good time. After my run we had one of my favorite dinners--skillet nachos. We hadn't had it in quite a while. Yum!

Today's long run was another 8-miler. At this point in the training, eight miles is a pretty good time. Fatigue is just starting to set in at the end of it. Anyway, Meg picked me up this morning and we drove over to Mahomet together. We ran the first mile or so with one of the coaches, who happens to be an 8-minute-miler (we're 9-minuters). So we started out a bit fast and gradually worked our way back to 9 minute miles. We chatted through a lot of the run this morning, which always helps it to go a bit faster. I finally told Meg about this blog. I don't know why I hadn't before. I didn't know her that well when I started it, then because she appears in it so frequently I felt weird about telling her after that. But she knows now. :)

Somewhere between miles 4 and 5, I think, we got to talking about embarrassing things associated with running. These tend to be things that runners can openly discuss with one another, but that get somewhat questionable among a more general audience. This includes chafing, my toes, toenail loss, the visible, grainy salt that forms on your skin after a long run, the riding up of the shorts, ability/inability to eat or drink during a run, getting sweat in your eyes, the complete inability to stand up again after a long run (see my post from our first 10-miler), and burping. I love that runners have heroes, products, and issues specific to running that we discuss.

Anyway, the run went well. We had great weather. We finished in 72 minutes. As with any other long run, I went through ups and downs along the way, meaning periods that were really easy and periods where I had to push myself a little bit more. Overall it was a fun run! Since the full marathoners had a 14 mile day today, Meg and I stayed after to cheer them on. We also shared the leftovers from our bake sale, once stomachs had settled far enough to eat.

We really cherished today since we go up in mileage considerably next Saturday. Next week is our first 12 mile run! Wish me luck!

No comments: