Wednesday, June 20, 2007

the unicorn

That's right. Tonight I'm writing about the mythical creature that I sometimes think I spot dashing across a field in my runner's universe. Alas, it is not to be captured. My unicorn is the so-called "easy track workout."

Maybe running is just hard. Maybe it's supposed to be hard. Maybe it's just hot outside. Maybe I'm just not built for speed. Maybe we were running too fast. The workout was as follows:

1 mile warm-up
3 miles (12x400), fast for 100 m. of each 400 m. lap, quick for the rest
6 strides (100 meter sprints)
1 mile cool-down
Total: Just over 5 miles

It really doesn't sound hard. Running three miles certainly isn't a problem at this point. Meg and I think it was so hard because we were running pretty fast. Our first mile was 7m50, our second was about 7m40, and our fourth was just over 8 minutes. And it was pretty hot out. There were some highlights! I don't want to whine about it for this entire blog entry! The sprinklers for the football field were on, so we got sprayed a few times as we ran past. That was great. And afterward, I feel just fine about the run. Oh, and the little group of girls (I have no idea what they practice for) was there again, they are SO cute. At the end of the day, we did the workout and we did it at a good pace, so we met the objective. I'm just saying it wasn't easy. Still no unicorn.

No comments: