Monday, November 7, 2011

Mondays in Love: A Blah Run

There's tension here at JoannaRuns. I had a crappy "long" run this weekend, but it's a beautiful thing anyway.

The thing I am desperately in love with is, in fact, the same thing that totally FUBARed my "long" run yesterday: the growing baby in my belly. Allegedly the kid is going through a growth spurt right now. No freaking kidding!! This weekend was an epic saga of eat-sleep-repeat (read: conserve energy) while cramming in as much work/family/cleaning the house time as possible. The run just was not going to happen on Saturday. And when it did happen yesterday, it was slow, tired, and not a lot of fun.

No runner likes to see a run go awry. But, I am so helplessly in love with this tiny person I don't know yet. I want to shout this from the rooftop: I felt the first kicks last Thursday, and it's beyond magical. Right now while I type this I can feel my baby squirming around, just a little. I can't wait to get to know this baby. The next ultrasound--and gender reveal--is in two weeks. I feel like a little kid at Christmas, just almost incapacitated by the desire for the big day to be here already. I so badly want a peek!

This weekend was the first real reminder that sometimes I'm going to have to let things go when it comes to running while pregnant. While I can and will continue to run long into the pregnancy (maybe even up until delivery, if I'm lucky--my doctor and I are both hoping for this), there will be times that I need to cut myself some slack in even the reduced mileage/speed that I've been doing the last few months. I have to remember that the bar is different now, and that my finish line is the healthy delivery of my child (God willing) and not a PR under a huge digital clock. (Although, incidentally, a "labor PR" would be welcomed. Seriously. I was in labor for over 22 hours last time. And the image of a huge digital clock over a hospital bed is hilarious.)

Those of you who know me well know that I totally suck at letting things go. But, I've been through this once before, I get it. And I'm just so, so thankful.

5 comments:

Elle said...

I can tell how excited you are! That is so wonderful.

Suz and Allan said...

I can only imagine how excited you are! What a wonderful Thanksgiving gift to find out if it's a boy or a girl!

Raquelita said...

Exciting times! My sister is due in January and they chose not find out the sex of the baby. I really don't think I would be able to be that patient!

Erica Gorman said...

What a wonderful time of your life right now --- kicks and all the fun! I wish you the best of news on your gender reveal. My darling daughter was shy on the first go around and didn't want to reveal a thing. Fortunately, my doc was out of town so his second in charge ordered a second peak before he returned so I would be able to know!

Marlene said...

Definitely sounds like a good enough reason for a tough run. Keep growing that baby! :)