Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mileage/new job updates

Yesterday, Meg and I ran 3.2 miles as part of our plan to shake off the winter out-of-shapeness. That brought the year cumulative total to 9.0. We ran a pretty standard (for us) first mile, then picked up the pace for the second, finishing it in 8:15. I was proud of us for that! We held a nearly perfectly constant pace throughout that mile, too. The third mile we slowed back down. For me, slowing back down was a matter of desire and necessity. I'm way too out of shape to do back-to-back mile intervals, but that will change by mid-summer. For now, doing a mile interval is just a fun way to mix things up.

Totally different topic--I started my new job today. As with all first days at new jobs, there was a lot of information to take in in a short period of time. I think I caught most of it though. I'm feeling ready to jump in and get started. I'm excited about the range of things I may be able to do. I discovered today that there are ups and downs of having two offices. The benefit is that it is easier to partition my professional life into the work I get paid for and the work for my dissertation, because I complete the tasks in two different places. The down side is that all of my stuff--coffee maker, electric kettle, books, etc.-- is in one office and I'm in another. I started a list of small things to bring to the new office to make it more comfortable. It should be cozy in no time.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Glad to hear your first day went well. You will have to let me know where you are at over there. I know some people who work in administration.