Monday, June 11, 2012

Mondays in Love: Wisdom

This morning I filed Run #3 in the Run & Done folder and I loved it for so many reasons. Like my last run, I did a 3:1 run/walk. It's hard! It makes me really appreciative. 

Reason #1: It's humbling to remember how hard it is to start from scratch or close to it. I think when I'm really fit, it's easy to forget how hard this is for beginners. It's good to be reminded of that from time to time. I was out 11 weeks. It will help me be a better Running Big (get it, like Bigs in sororities and frats?) later on. 

Reason #2: I haven't felt like I was going to die. After Big Brother was born I thought I was going to kick it on my first few runs back. I 100% attribute the change to running wisdom. This time around I know how important it is to ease back into things and gradually build up. I know what I need to stretch to keep from hurting myself. I know how to manage hydration better. And this time around I know that the fitness will return, and in relative terms, pretty quickly. 

Reason #3: I barely beat the sticky sick weather and the rain today and got my run in during some lovely morning weather. I LOVE when I do that. Joanna 1, Summer 0. 

Reason #4: I saw a billboard advertising a 4 mile race on the 4th of July. Since I haven't felt like I was going to die, I'm considering making this my  first race back. What do you think? Is this reasonable? It won't be a PR--I'm not ready for that--but I think I can get up to that distance. Right? I'm at about 2.5 run/walk right now. 

In other news, my office move is...going. There is stuff EVERYWHERE. My new bookshelves didn't come with the hardware to install the shelves, so while I wait for Facilities to send them to me, all my stuff is still in the shrink-wrapped rolly cart that they used to move my stuff. And the giant cart is taking up the space I need for my appliances, reading chair, and coffee table. It's a hot mess. But it's a hot mess I'm still pretty thrilled to have. 


4 comments:

Cory Reese said...

You should definitely sign up for the race on July 4th! I think you could totally do it.

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I agree with Cory..DO IT! I remember how humbling it was returning to running, and yet so invigorating. Pretty sure it was a life saver for me after my second kid.

Raquelita said...

It is tough when we are starting from scratch again, isn't it? I didn't really push myself in Madrid at all in terms of speed or mileage and now that I'm trying to again it is pretty rough.

I definitely think you could do the 4th of July race!

Black Knight said...

Sign up for the race and run for fun. You can do it!