Wednesday, May 9, 2007

that one hurt

Today was the "hard workout" at the Urbana track, and boy was it! On the surface it doesn't sound so bad--a mile warm-up, 4 x 800, then a mile cool-down. Four miles total. It doesn't sound that bad. I've been running 3.8 on Saturdays without any problem. But I have to tell you, today kicked my ass in a big way.

I don't know if it was the heat, the fact that I ran yesterday (rather than running Monday and cross-training yesterday), the food I ate today, or what. The first 800, my throat felt like it had burst into flames. The third one I was about 10 seconds slower than my others. Afterwards, my left hip is pretty tender, and there was slight chafing for the first time, which, I have to say, is unpleasant.

My first, second, and fourth 800 I ran in 3:30-3:38, which is faster than half my mile time from last week. Donnie thinks that's why 800s are harder, it's still a decent distance but you're pushing yourself harder than you do during a mile. Other goods news--my feet were fine! No blisters yet, which is great. Also, no shin problems today. It was also nice that after my third (my hardest) 800, one of my teammates gave me a little high-five of encouragement because he could see that I was struggling. That was nice.

Tomorrow is an off day! Wooooohooooooo!!! I have a feeling I'll need it. :)

No comments: