Sunday, September 16, 2007

Grab a cold one

A cold run, that is. Yesterday when Meg and I left for our Saturday run it was 37 degrees! Before I started training for the half I was completely unwilling to run when it was any cooler than about 55. Needless to say, that changed yesterday! I wore long yoga pants and a sport fleece over my running shirt. After the first half mile or mile I got past the frigid stage, but I never did really warm up.

Meg and I ran only 4 miles. I was okay with that. It was cold and we're not training for anything. It was a fun little run. I'm glad we went in the cold; I'm glad I can now say that I've done that. It was also nice to see everyone both Friday night (team dinner) and yesterday morning. After our short long-run we sat and cheered for the others, who were running 20 miles. I'm really glad we went.

Until yesterday, it had been quite some time since I had run in cotton (my pants were cotton). Even though we didn't run very far and certainly weren't sweating like we would on an 80 degree morning, I was struck by how much my sweat hung in my clothing. It was a great reminder why, as a runner, I love technical fabrics. It might be time to get winter running gear!

No comments: