Thursday, September 15, 2011

For the TEAM

Some of you may recall that I got my start in endurance running through Team in Training. I trained with the Team for 3 years and mentored two seasons. I don't have a personal connection to blood cancers, but fighting cancer is something I have become passionate about through Penn State's THON and through my involvement with Team in Training. I know a lot of you also have a connection to TnT, so when my husband sent me this article yesterday, I knew I had to share:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/13/health/13gene.html

An Immune System Trained to Kill Cancer
Published: September 12, 2011
A closer look at what was done to cure two patients of chronic lymphocytic leukemia with a novel gene therapy — which may be useful against other cancers.

2 comments:

Erica Gorman said...

Awesome article and thanks for sharing. What a good result for the patient and thank goodness he had the strength to endure the treatment.

Raquelita said...

Thanks for sharing. I have run for TNT in the past and would like to again when next I live in a place where there is a local chapter.