Saturday, December 19, 2009

Snow!

Good gear really does make all the difference in the world. I have always hated running in the cold, and in previous years have just simply not done it. I ran three times this week with my new thermal tights--and it was cold all three days--and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Best of all, today there was snow covering our running path. It was the first time I've ever run in the snow, and it was beautiful.

I ran the shortest distance of anyone (6 miles), and consequently was the first back to the parking lot this morning. As I walked across the edge of the lot back to our water/Powerade station, I saw someone that looked strangely like my teammate, Ann, who lives in Arizona through the winter. I squinted. I stared. Finally, reasonably convinced that it was her, I waved. She waved back, squinting to see who she was waving at. She walked over and we chatted for a minute. I told her I had just finished and was going to wait in my car for the others. No sooner were the words out of my mouth did I realize that no, I wouldn't be waiting in my car, because Coach Mike had my keys (he safely stores all our keys, which I'm grateful for!), and he was on the other side of the park. Crap. She gave me her keys (which she had because she had only just arrived) and so I waited in her gorgeous Mercedes-Benz until Mike came back.

As soon as he came back I got my keys and got into my car to get my extra jacket. As soon as I opened the car door I heard my phone ringing. It was Brendan, calling to see if there were breakfast plans. I told him I'd call him back when I knew. As people started returning from their runs and plans were made, I left to go home to pick up my boys and asked that someone call to tell me where we were meeting. A while later I got a text from Mike that said, "Paneras. Leaving [the park] now." The boys and I packed up and headed over there. Everyone arrived at Panera around the same time. Except Mike. Where was he? Atlanta Bread Company. On the other end of town. I'm laughing, but we missed him. We've all been there.

Mileage:
447.8 + 2.85 + 3.3 + 6.0 = 460.0

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That was a little embarrassing but I got over it. Always glad I can bring a smile to everyone's face.

Didn't even realize it until I saw no one's car in lot. Then I saw the SIGN. :)

Here's to 2010.